Monday, July 23, 2007

Day 30 (7/22): Cassody, KA to Girard, KA (145 miles)

Days mileage: 145 miles

Fog sat heavy on my immediate surroundings as I broke the tent poles down and geared up for another day on the bike. It was slightly chilly and a Sunday morning. Maybe no one would be on the roads for a while? I was willing to take the chance that early starts worked out best…
My legs felt surprisingly fresh despite the strenuous efforts from the past...30 days…ha…and yesterday in particular…more of the same rolling terrain with a crosswind teasing each stroke of the pedal.

I biked through more flooded areas of Kansas, not realizing how bad it must have rained in this area of the world…a local guy told me all that rain happened about a month ago…and to me it looked like it had just rained….bridged must have been underwater…even houses and roads were gone….I bike thru a ghost town called Toronto and concluded that they all left when the water levels started to creep up towards their doorstep…I’m prob way wrong…but anyways…I was worried I’d be face with more wading thru marshland seein the roads I was rolling along on all ran parallel and around a big reservoir…luckily no issues…

I biked into three lads from England who were biking east too…I rode with them for 5 miles or so and then bid them a good day.

After getting poured on for 20 minutes I finally got to Girard, KA around 730pm….I was tired and my legs were shot…I found the city park, pitched tent, made dinner, and watched the mosquitos swarm around my sweaty and tired body…none of that mattered though b/c I knew I’d be in Missouri early tomorrow morning (Girard is only 15 miles or so from the border) and soon Kansas would just be another memory I’d be talking about later on down the road…

2 comments:

NANNI AND POPPOP said...

WOW. YOUR ADVENTURES TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY! GETTING AROUND THAT ROAD WASHOUT WAS SOMETHING ELSE.
MAY THE FORCE REMAIN WITH YOU EVERY STEP, SORRY, PEDAL OF THE WAY.
STAY SAFE. WE LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU.

NANI AND POPPOP

Loretta said...

I love you and I am so proud of you my little speed demon! But for heavens sake must you be a runner, a biker, a hiker, a fisher, a singer, a musician, and a WRITER? I am feeling a bit intimidated here. With all of your many interests and hobbies, thank you for finding five times a day to call me on the phone. You are much more interesting in writing of course ;) LOVE YOU SOOOO MUCH!