Monday, July 30, 2007

Day 35 (7/27): Marion, KY --> Rough River State Park, KY (115 miles)

Days mileage: 115 miles

I awoke early in an effort to get a jumpstart on the humidity. The Kentucky terrain continued on in a gradul and somewhat flat-like manner that def met the approval of my tired legs. There was also a slight tailwind to nudge the progress along a bit quicker. With each turn in the road I was pretty shocked at how many fields of corn there were...I thought Virginia had a lot but Kentucky def takes top honors for seen corn fields.

Around lunchtime I swung into a library to update blog and then headed on, deeper and deeper into the bluegrass state.

Around 2:00pm I def hit the wall as far as fatigue goes (mentally and physically). I thought I had been eating enough all morning, but figured I'd better be safe than sorry and stopped into a Mom and Pops type place to order up a great 2.00 sandwhich. Right when I stepped back outside and clipped into pedals the rain drops began to parade down towards the very earth of which I pedaled.

Awesome.

Well, it actually was pretty awesome. The rain showers brought temperatures down a great deal and I was able to get a load of laundry done that I'd been procrastinating with for a little bit longer than a long time...

It poured for the next three hours of the day and I found it to be more and more of a joyous occassion. The rain brought a nice change of pace and added a diff shade to the surroundings I'd already grown.

Anyways, I finally pulled into Rough River State Park and decided I'd camp there for the night. It was nice to finish biking around 630 for a change and gave me some time to relax before settin up and throwing some dinner together.

I ended up gettin a free meal from a friendly RV fellow who lived in Indiana and was the president of some hospital up there I believe. We chit chatted for a while about our various travels, etc.

I then set up my tent and went to sleep with the sound of rain starting to get heavier and heavier as I fell deeper and deeper into a deep sleep....

1 comment:

NANNI AND POPPOP said...

WE HOPE TO SEE YOU AT SUGAR HOLLOW WHICH DOES SEEM LIKE A VERY GOOD LOCATION FOR THE FINISH OF YOUR EPIC JOURNEY. WE HAVE ALREADY MADE ALL THE SAUCE, MEATBALLS AND SAUSAGE AND THEY ARE ALL SAFELY IN THE FREEZER AWAY FROM TEMPTATION. WE ARE SO HAPPY THAT INSTEAD OF TELLING YOUR CHILDREN AND GRAND CHILDREN WHAT YOU DID IN SOME GREAT WAR, THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ENTHRALL THEM WITH TALES OF YOUR PERSONAL "FANTASTIC JOURNEY"!!! LET US KNOW YOUR EXPECTED TIME OF ARRIVAL.

LOVE,
NANI AND POPPOP